![]() |
| Image: Teen Vogue |
Being imperfect sucks.
I don't know about you but I've compared myself to many other people- including friends, models, and friends who are models. I obviously come out disappointed. There are so many reasons to why these people can make me feel this way: she's thinner, she's richer, her hair is nicer, she can draw, she dresses really nice... but I'm sure that I'm not alone.
I honestly have no idea why so many of us feel like this, it's just as if our brains are pre-programmed to dislike themselves. More like brainwashed, because if it wasn't for all these photos of perfect girls and depressing self-hate quotes, I'm sure that we'd be much happier.
Which leads me to something else: are these models/idols/other perfect people all we make them out to be? I was watching this video the other day, and I think that you should too, because this girl is onto something. What we see in magazines, in videos, in photos, in all the people better than us isn't the whole truth. If we abide by the general rule that everybody sees themselves in a less bright light than we should, then maybe these people don't feel as perfect as we like to think they are. Like Cameron says in the video, models, must be really insecure: they have to look perfect everyday. And I'm sure that Emma Watson has had her insecurities too.
We need to see ourselves as the beautiful, majestic creatures that we really are. We might not afford everything, we might not be smart enough, and we might not like the way we look, but we are good at other things, special things that make us damn unique and SPECIAL. These things are there to be appreciated, just like you are, but if they are kept covered by our insecurities and our constant wanting to be someone else, then they're just going to be pushed away. I know that it's easier said than done- I wish I was this confident in real life and not just while preaching, but hey, baby steps.
I'm guessing that a fundamental part in this whole 'give me a reason to celebrate myself' thing is being ourselves, which is just why we should try to discover and embrace our quirks and talents. And here's a tip: not the whole world needs to know! Actually, no one does. I've kept this blog a secret, simply because I want it to be a creative outlet all for myself, where I can be my own judge. If you want to attend a karate lesson but are too embarrassed, do so anyway! You should not be obliged or pressured to say anything about it- if you're comfortable with keeping something that does you good to yourself, there's no rule saying that other people should be in on it too.
The word which sums all this up is confidence, partly for showing the world who we are and mostly for being proud of ourselves. And we need oodles of it, enough to last us ages of being happy, and of not caring what everyone else thinks, because being ourselves is the greatest thing ever, and frankly, we're enjoying it way too much to care about what everyone else thinks.

Life is a constant battle between wanting to be good enough and not being good enough. It's not just about how we look, but with everything. From our work to our academic grades to our hobbies to our relationships....
ReplyDelete:)
Hope you had a great weekend
-Ru
Glitter And Blush
Hi Abi!
ReplyDeleteThis was a very well written post. And I completely agree with what you've mentioned. It's unfortunate that we are all brainwashed to believe that we are never good enough. It's horrible and I see the manipulation and lies in almost every single advertisement.
About a month ago, I came across an article about Britney Spears. The author of the article interviewed a person that is hired to photoshop people into perfection...IN VIDEOS and IN MOVIES. He was being interviewed anonymously. I was shocked at how he described that leading musicians (like Britney) and actors were being digitally altered to "look better." If photoshop, airbrushing, heavy makeup, and dieting weren't enough...now celebrities are being digitally altered as well. It's so sick, isn't it?
Are you familiar with Darren Brown? Google "Darren Brown subliminal video" and watch it on youtube. It's amazing how easily we get tricked. And it's even more amazing to see how simple it is to control someone's thoughts. That's why I blame the mass media and advertisements for the way that women in our society see view themselves.
Anyway...sorry for the ridiculously long post. This is just a subject that I find fascinating. I've had this conversation with my friends and family before. Even my boyfriend agrees on how sad it is that women are made to feel crappy about the way they look. I've had to stop watching television because of it. Thanks for sharing this!
PS. I'm your newest follower on GFC :)
xo Azu
www.raven-locks.blogspot.com